While looking over the comments from the previous post and thinking a little bit, I started to wonder what President Obama’s re-election strategy would be. There have been very few successes for the Obama administration with the exception of Obamacare, and that’s being challenged in the Supreme Court. With the latest scandals with GSA malfeasance with tax dollars and the Secret Service hiring foreign nationals for “evening entertainment,” it doesn’t look good, but only for the short-term.
In his election campaign of 2008, the Obama campaign machine ran a near flawless campaign, only marred by two items that I can remember – his unscripted comment about “spreading the wealth” to Samuel “Joe the Plumber” Wurzelbache, and his grand tour of Europe badmouthing America. A brilliant slogan of “Hope and Change” with the near iconic “O” campaign graphic was a combination most politicians would die for. He was promoted as an academic, a brilliant teacher that as a new & hip politician on the scene that, dare I say it, was African-American & promised to heal any and all racial divides (real or imagined). Of course, appealing to all of the Liberal base with talking points promising the sun, moon, and stars along with a mantra of “blame Bush,” how could he lose?
President Obama cannot run on his record alone. He cannot claim saving the automotive companies – his predecessor started that ball rolling. He cannot claim victory over the economy as his stimulus package didn’t stimulate, allowed unemployment climb above the promised limit of 8%, thousands found themselves unemployed, businesses (and Wall Street) collapsed, and all at a cost of over 1 trillion of our taxpayer dollars! The promise of promoting green energy has also cost millions of taxpayer dollars in failed loans & subsidies, and has been increasingly turning brown. Our troops are still being killed overseas and Guantanamo is still open despite the campaign promises to bring the troops home & close the camp. And the previously mentioned Health Care Plan passed with many closed door & under the table deals to politicians, special interests, and general obfuscation (Pelosi’s “But we have to pass the bill so that you can find out what is in it…” is the perfect quote for these shenanigans). There are many, many more broken promises, almost too numerous to list, but a comprehensive list is here. (In the interests of fairness, the promises kept are here, although most of them have to do with health care.)
Instead, the Obama Re-Election Strategy is going to be focused on two words – Attack and Blame. We are all seeing the beginning of that strategy. For instance…
A combination of these two words can be found in the attack of the 1%, blaming them for being successful and, how dare they, not sharing with the rest of us and being so greedy to begin with. It doesn’t matter that 48% of us are paying taxes to support the other 52%, class-warfare is in full swing. I guarantee you that he will drag Mitt Romney in the middle of it while emphasizing his humble beginnings.
There will be a resurgence of ads attacking anyone opposed to ObamaCare, no matter how the Supreme Court rules on the case, and blaming the same people for raising roadblocks toward a mandated universal health care system. The ads will involve the doom and gloom of the senior citizens and children not being treated for the most minor (and major) health issues.
The blame will come for hindering the Obama Plan to revitalize the economy. It will go something like “if (name given here) hadn’t stood in the way, the economy would have recovered by now and unemployment would never have gone above 8%.”
The attack will come in playing the race card in some way, either made up or partially based in some fact. Just the fact that President Obama is chiming in on various issues (such as Trayvon Martin) is all the indication I need to know that this will happen.
I know that there will be other strategies in play, but I believe that the above will be the main thrust. And I know that someone far cleverer than I will come up with a Bulls**t Bingo card with this and more – that can be counted on.
Those are my thoughts for the moment – what do you think?