From the Detroit Free Press:
A terror suspect who claimed to have al-Qaida connections could face charges as soon as today for attempting to blow up a Delta-Northwest flight as it was landing at Detroit Metro Airport on Friday, law enforcement officials said.
Officials identified the suspect as Umar Farouk Abdul Mutallab, 23, a Nigerian national. It was unclear Friday why he allegedly wanted to attack the flight, arriving from Amsterdam. Passengers subdued him as he allegedly tried to detonate an explosive device that failed.
…the flight began in Nigeria and went through Amsterdam en route to Detroit.
There was nothing out of the ordinary until Northwest Flight 253 was on final approach to Detroit, said Federal Aviation Administration spokeswoman Elizabeth Isham Cory. That is when the pilot declared an emergency and landed shortly thereafter, Cory said in an e-mail message.
There were 278 passengers aboard the Airbus 330, and the flight was about 20 minutes from the airport when there was a sound like a firecracker exploded, witnesses said. One passenger jumped over others and tried to subdue the man. Shortly afterward, the suspect was taken to a front row seat with his pants cut off and his legs burned.
Some of the facts reported late Friday:
- One U.S. intelligence official said the explosive device was a mix of powder and liquid and failed when the passenger tried to detonate it.
- A law enforcement source said the explosives may have been strapped to the man’s body but investigators weren’t immediately certain, partly because of the struggle with other passengers.
- One law enforcement source said the man claimed to have been instructed by al-Qaida to detonate the plane over U.S. soil.
- The official said a determination of a terrorist act would have to come from the attorney general.
- The official added that additional security measures were being taken without raising the airline threat level.
The last two bullet points concern me.
- Of course it’s a terrorist act! A person tried to blow himself up to take a planeload of passengers with him.
- The flight originated in Nigeria – who knows what security measures they have, and this is definitely a threat.
Note to the President: Just because you make speeches and promise to close Guantanamo Bay, terrorists will keep coming! No matter how it’s spun, closing that prison will not stop people from joining a terrorist group. An excerpt from an earlier post:
…there are people in the world that want to kill you just for the reason that you exist!! And we still seem to pursue the idiotic mantra of appeasement to those who wish nothing more than to destroy our country and subjugate us to their religion.
Just the mere fact that this latest attempt was performed over the United States and on Christmas Day should give even the most Liberal apologists pause to consider that there is no appeasement or compromise with these people. No, this is a war, period, but it is with a well funded religious ideology instead of a country. The sooner that our leaders realize this instead of treating it as a bunch of criminal acts will mean that a greater focus will be brought to bear upon these organizations.