Just heard on news this morning that the House is combining three health-care bills into one. Highlights of HR 3962 as reported by Fox News are:
- 1990 pages, 400,000 words
- Cost is $894 Billion over the next ten years
- Public option
- Insurance enrollment is mandatory
- End of Life planning is still in bill
- To be paid for by new taxes and Medicare cuts (tax list is here)
Speaker Pelosi wants to have this bill voted on by November 11. At least she isn’t wanting to vote on it today or tomorrow, so at least we do have a chance to read the damn thing…
I haven’t read the text of the Bill, and probably won’t – I still have an exam on November 16 to study for. For those of you who do want to read the bill and have your eyes bleed & raise your blood pressure, the full text (in .pdf format) is here.
As Gaius at Blue Crab Boulevard points out, “The taxes will have a severe negative effect on jobs. Bet on it. And they kick in immediately while “benefits” from the “reform” don’t start for years.”
A friend of Z found this jewel on Page 25:
(2) INSUFFICIENT FUNDS.—If the Secretary estimates for any fiscal year that the aggregate amounts available for payment of expenses of the high-risk pool will be less than the amount of the expenses, the Secretary shall make such adjustments as are necessary to eliminate such deficit, including reducing benefits, increasing premiums, or establishing waiting lists.
Hmmm….sounds suspiciously like what is currently in place in Great Britain, which is exactly what our Congress and President have stated that this health care reform would not resemble!!
Just what we all need…More taxes & fees, more government bloating, mismanagement & interference in our lives, and less services. Peachy…just peachy…